Cool finds while scouting

Recently gained access to 70 acres behind my house to trap. Found this among the base of some rock cliffs. Now bouncing ideas for the best way to bait and set it. Open to any ideas or shared photos of cool things anyone else has found while scouting.

3 Likes

Well being as my area is full of cliffs and holes one thing I can tell you for sure in a hour so nothing can get back in it.
Nobody told me that when I was a kid woulda saved me some trouble and ringing ears.
If there is sign on the bluffs going and coming you can just set them blind and do well.
You can also bait with big baits and set the trails leading to it and do well.
Lots of stuff can be done

2 Likes

I like exploring new properties

Finding old Homestead buildings fallen in or finding a well in the Middle of nothing but people use to live there and raise a family
Just thinking of the days when people lived with out a lot of modern things

Some were horse and buggy days

Not found while trapping but in the head of my holler is a little house about fallen down where many kids were raised and moonshine made. I used to sit in doorway and kill squirrels in a mulberry. I’m sure it’s a snake den now. These kids nowadays are being programmed to think they don’t have a chance in life. They ought to see some of these old houses kids came out of and made something of themselves.

3 Likes

Colt thanks for the tip, I will find a way to keep anything from getting to the back.

@Kytrapper @ThumbCatcher This property has a old house on it as well that is fallen in. The property owner told me it was her grandfathers and they used the land to farm cattle. I love to talk to my parents and grandparents about their upbringing. My mother’s side of the family grew up hard working and poor. Grandfather had dirt floors when he grew up and my mom and her siblings can recall getting water from the creek for baths, and didn’t enjoy their first T.V. until they were in middle school. I was the first generation to have a easy upbringing and the first to go to college. Sometimes it’s easy to forget and take for granted todays convenience.

Eatwild that is really neat, how far back does it actually go and is it all natural or has it been “improved” by past land users.

I found an old home place several years ago that speaks to the hard life that our forefathers had. It is actually two house sites and what I suspect was a barn and a couple of outbuildings. There is nothing left now but foundation and chimney stones. They had built terraces along the side of the ridge for their crops.

I would love to know the story of the folks that built the place. I have talked to a lot of old timers and several local history experts and though a few know about the place no one knows anything about who built it and lived there. That further intrigues me because that makes me really wonder how long ago those folks settle in that remote hollow up on the side of a steep ridge.

@K91773 I’m no expert but from what I observed it appears to be a natural formation and only a few feet deep into the cliff. No obvious tool marks or human debris to be found nearby, I’ve been torn on the best ways to set it. I showed this to my trapping mentor and mentioned the method of anchoring traps that Leon educated us on during his demo at the fall meet, which was a fantastic experience for a new trapper. But I can’t help to think that might ruin this spot for someone stumbling apon it 50-100 years from now. On man made structures I believe Leons methods would be hard to beat. But something this natural I feel deserves to be left as such. I think colt has it right on baiting the hole and setting traps on the trails leading into it.

1 Like