8 Likes

Way to go! Congrats

I saw and heard a bunch.

8 Likes

Congratulations to both

I had a blind set up and just thought sure by 8
I’d be done

They must have a lot of hens they stayed low on the hill and wouldn’t work

Had a coyote come in about 20 yds came in from a blind side I didn’t see it or I’d been ready

I think that coyote will be looking over it’s shoulder
For a while or need pellets pulled out of its behind
There fast but I put the fear in it

3 Likes

Congratulations

Congrats to y’all. I worked 2 up to about 70 yards but the woods were too open and they lost interest and headed off. Then oddly about 9 a wave of hunters came cruising around the public land road.

Managed to find my first ever morel, and saw some beautiful mountain country, watched those gobblers strut and gobble for 15+ minutes, good for the soul!. It’s ok if they win some, still a red letter day.

That’s the mountain I came off of to get to the mountain I was on and then had to go back up to get to the truck!.

5 Likes

The woods up there is real open right know makes it tough. I never set down to a bird this morning hear at home few around but not where I can hunt. Herd two or 3 voelys this morning one with 6 shots. Don’t know what there doing wrong sounded like duck season.
Gonna head up the public ground mid week,did put on 4 miles today though

2 Likes

You must have some of those semi auto muzzle loader hunters like we have.

Now Kytrapper, it is 2024 who are you to judge if my AR-15 identifies as a muzzleloader :slight_smile:

3 Likes

6 Likes

Looks like some fine eating.

1 Like

What county you hunting in preacherman? I’m seeing and hearing a lot more than the past three years. I think the population is doing better the two places I hunt.

1 Like

Kytrapper, I am sure glad to hear that the turkeys seem to be rebounding where you are at. I hope they do so in McCreary County soon, I hope KYDFWR comes up with something in the study they are doing, obviously there probably isn’t anything we can do about it but at least we will know why the population crashed. I just don’t buy the nest predator thing, it is a part of turkey mortality but not to the degree it has happened and the same goes for the cold wet springs. We had both of these issues when the turkey population was growing by leaps and bounds and yet it prospered. I firmly believe there is a disease component in there as well.

Lawrence county

I hunt in Cumberland County with Dennis and Leon. I’ll hunt in Whitley if I don’t tag out there.

1 Like

Key word there is “was growing” it’s no longer growing I heard it explained once that when a species is in expansion mode they over come allot of obstacles to fill in the available territory,and that the species later reduces back to reach caring capacity. In my area I seen it with beaver and otter and I believe that may have been what everybody saw with muskrats in yesteryear.
In my opinion with the number and of success rates nowadays we should prolly be a 1 bird (gobbler only) state and I personally believe are public land should be resident only the first week. And if everybody wants to enjoy gobbling all spring we need to go back the half day hunting the first half of season.
I have not set down to a bird as of yet there are birds around just not where I can hunt and there are many more hunter then there use be easily 3 times as many as in my youth.
This spring I’m taking it allot more easy then in the past. If I could arrow a nice bird and have a few good hunts this time I will e very happy.
Daddy missed a gobbler with his recurve Saturday evening he had a great hunt with the bird at 8 yards at one point.
Colt

2 Likes

I have not had much of an urge to turkey hunt until i read this thread. nice birds