Rainy day, good day to start grinding

Going to grind castor and put in the goodies today to begin aging. I started some cat gland a couple weeks back and didn’t leave enough expansion room and about had a blowout. I caught it in time. I don’t know how these lure makers can develop a complete line, it takes so much trial, error and testing. Most lures are 25.00 for four ounces by them and even at that price it’s not too much. Four ounces will make a lot of sets.

4 Likes

That’s why not every lure maker is a good lure maker.
Takes years to really know in my opinion.
Colt

3 Likes

I’ve been making and using the beaver lure for twenty years and cat gland isn’t hard to stir up. The beaver lure is much more consistent than the gland but I don’t think any of the cat gland batches haven’t worked. Hardest thing on cat gland is getting it broken down to a good constant consistency. I don’t mind stringy cat gland but some would. Louis Tandy loaned me a commercial food processor and I think the stringy problem will be over. The little home food processors want to roll the bladder and intestines a bit.

1 Like

I partially thaw mine and cut them up them let it stuffing in freezer if I need to again them run it in a blender with sharpened blades.
It would smooth up then.

I’m glad you two are so industrious.me I’m sitting here watching this one lone hen wander around in the back field

3 Likes

I’ve did one batch of castor already, Ive been trying something different with castor the last couple seasons… I’ve got one big batch that I aged, ground, dried and then ground again and have had it aging… I can see why so many lure makers do it this way, it smells like castor but sweeter. Not as harsh. Its different to work with, you can put the same amount of castor, the exact same ingredients and it smells completely different than lure made with fresh dried castor…

That’s interesting. I may pick your brain in May. If you come to spring meet would love to sniff a bottle.