Several things have changed in Kentucky trapping since 1980

2 Likes

Notice no coyotes on the list. It was about '80 when I saw my first coyote an uncle killed deer hunting. Think I was 16 at the time.

No otter listed either and bobcats protected.

I remember those days and you only had so long to sale and no freezing over to next season. Can’t remember if it was 2weeks or a month to sale after season.

Well i was not around in 80 but I remember no cat season in most of the state. And the no 2 restrictions. And of course the snare law.
The thang that would blow allot of minds today was the 2 coon limit on hunting. And the fact that game wardens would really get after you while night hunting allot more aggressively then later own they was just happy somebody was coon hunting at all.
Colt

I believe in 1980 the coon limit hunting was one per person and no more than three per party.

Season didn’t open until around Thanksgiving and went out Jan. 31. Then, beaver only was extended through Feb. Then, everything was. It took years for me to get into Feb. trapping but it’s become my favorite month to trap. Beaver was first extended I believe in an attempt to get more trappers to target beaver at a time that all their effort was directed at them. Now, March would be that option . We’ve had beaver and rats open in March for several years in west Ky. If I knew March was awaiting I’d spend more time in Feb. learning about cats and otter.

5 Likes