Teaching young kids wrong out of the gate

I was dismayed at the picture in this months FFG of the two small children standing behind a string of just coon tails clipped to a clothesline. I think it would be much better if whomever was taking or teaching them to have put up those Illinois coon and marketed them. No, they wouldn’t have been rich but the kids would have thought so. It would also provide a lesson in the wise and correct use of a furbearer resource. We are failing as furtakers teaching it’s ok to just kill and waste furbearing animals in hopes of having more turkeys. The more furbearers are reduced to just varmint status so goes our image as traditional fur trappers.

1 Like

I seen that and was sort of thinking along those same lines.

I agree , we are called to be good stewards of what God gives us !

1 Like

There’s a new mentality creeping in with setting traps. Many now have no intention of ever skinning a critter. The Facebook picture is their reward of attention. I for one do not want to be associated TOGETHER with them calling us both trappers. I prefer to call them trap setters.

1 Like

I saw that and thought the same thing.

I just saw that picture and also thought it was not the best image to be presenting.

Yes, there are many other types of outdoor enthusiasts that get FFG. I wondered what they thought of this obvious wanton waste. Would they catch fish and display and toss or what about those old pics of the meat poles in deer camp? Ok to just to take those down and throw in the lake? Somehow, this cheapening of furbearers will come back to hurt trapping someday.